Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

on a more serious note.

One of my students decided to take her own life on Thursday night. I am devastated. Monday is going to be really hard when her desk is empty fifth period.

I feel like my job is to ready students for the "real world" so that they can act like human beings when they get there. Sometimes that entails teaching comma placement and clauses, and sometimes that entails teaching things that are bigger than myself. Sometimes I get the feeling that I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this career. I can only hope and pray that I will be guided in the things I need to say and do in the next few weeks to help those students (and myself) cope.

I feel it a privilege to work with the youth. I have the opportunity to watch and see what our future holds both in worldly matters and in religious matters. I am happy to say that more often than not I am amazed at their strength and their courage, and I have a feeling that we are going to be buoying each other up on Monday.

Pray for us.

4 thoughts:

Randy and Malissa Johnson said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know that you will do a great job helping those kids. You are a great teacher and friend!

Lauren said...

I am so sorry. I will keep you and your students in my thoughts and prayers. =-) You will be a strength for them! No doubt

Rachel said...

Gosh, Amber, I am so sorry to hear this. But I know that you will do an excellent job helping those kids. I'm praying for y'all. hugs.

Clint and Sheri said...

That is so so sad. I hope her family will be ok.